Saturday, November 06, 2004

Elizabeth Edwards & Chris Heinz Post On DU

From Elizabeth Edwards

Since I cannot start a thread (which I think is a good rule by the way), I have to hijack one -- at least briefly. I do want this thread to continue on, though, because the topic is so important. (Moderators can feel free to move this, of course.)

But I also had something I wanted to say to all of you. You know that I read DU and have for quite some time, long before any of you knew my name. I really appreciate the support you have given me on this latest hurdle and before. It means a lot to me and to John.

Now that I have more time, I will post some, too. But today I want to share something inspiring, part of a letter from Thomas Jefferson. This is from the new Bernstein biography of Jefferson. Jefferson sent the letter in 1798 after the passage of the Sedition Act:

"A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight, restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt. If the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning back the principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are at stake."


From Chris Heinz
Thoughts and Thanks

Hello DU,Chris Heinz here, newly minted casualty of the Bush economic plan. Like many of you, I put my life aside to fight for this campaign, and to fight for a man I deeply care about, my stepfather John Kerry. I am proud of the man, and of our campaigns work. I am proud of my mother and my family, and the Edwards family (my thoughts are with you Elizabeth). Every day I traveled this country, I was also humbled, truly humbled, by the fact that I would meet volunteers and activists who were putting all of their excess energy and hope into this process and the man, despite arguably fewer incentives than those in my immediate life.

Like many of you, I do not think anger is my current dominant feeling, though it is present. Nor is it exhaustion, as I would have guessed a week ago as we campaigned 24/7. Rather, I feel sad and confused. I feel sad because I believe this country made a grave error in judgement on tuesday. And I feel confused because I dont feel the same closeness for my country, but was raised a patriot and by default want to love all of it.

So here we are. We move forward. Each of us will have to look inside ourselves about whether to heed this call for national unity. In my opinion, we owe our neighbors, democrats and republican, the same basic honor we did before November 2. But as for this adminstration, I think I feel the same way as most on this board: I dont owe George W. Bush shit. He does not get a clean slate from me. He has ruled this country for four years by focusing on what makes us different and it is unforgivable. History will make this clear.

In the meantime, thanks DU for your passion. And last night, for your courage. The "my name is" thread was perhaps the most powerful, courageous and cathartic I have ever seen.

Good night,Chris Heinz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home