Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Denial Cruise

It appears that more than a few loyal Kerry supporters have planned to get away from it all, with regards to the upcoming Inaugural ceremonies.

At least one Blogger from the Unofficial Kerry and Light Up The Darkness Blogs, is vacationing at the happiest place on Earth, as I write this. No special plans for this loyal Kerry supporter... it will be just another day here in sunny SoCal (also known as Baja Canada).

Here's a quip from a story I found in the Boston Globe about some former Kerry staffers who are headed for a Denial Cruise:

It started as a joke among John Kerry's young loyalists as the election night results rolled in.

But now, with a second Bush term about to become reality, they're getting out of here. Out of town, out of the country, out to sea.

On Monday, 34 young, once-hopeful Kerry for President operatives will board an 855-foot cruise ship bound for the white sandy beaches of Cozumel, Mexico. They are calling it the Denial Cruise.

They are unwilling to watch as President Bush is sworn into office for his second term on Thursday. No television watching allowed, at least not of that event.

"I've been trying to make believe that this whole thing never happened," said Naomi Greenfield, who volunteered at last summer's Democratic National Convention and worked on Kerry's election night event in Copley Square.

It was the first political campaign for the 26-year-old Somerville resident, and defeat has not been easy.

"It's actually kind of wretched, but I feel like leaving the country is kind of a small way to protest," Greenfield said. "And I get to snorkel."

While other Kerry supporters are holding demonstrations across the country, Greenfield and her fellow travelers are settling on a more mellow resistance: to ignore the inauguration.

Peg Cusack, who runs a Northern Virginia-based event-planning firm that helped coordinate Kerry's election night affair, took the lead in organizing the four-day getaway that will bring the group through the western Caribbean to Cozumel, Mexico's largest island, nestled off the coast of the Yucutan Peninsula.

Read more...

4 Comments:

Blogger Ron Chusid said...

Greetings from the Happiest Place on Earth (aka Walt Disney World). I just got back from Magic Kingdom, following the 11 pm showing of SpectoMagic. One thing I didn't do at Magic Kingdom--go to Hall of Presidents. I've been there a couple times since the 2000 election, but I don't want to see him now.

As my previous trip to Disney World was last spring, I still had an old Kerry badge on a camera case strap which I use for my pin collection. (Pins is one of many ways in which Disney makes fortunes, selling pins for every character, ride, resort, and more). Last spring I put a number of pins on the strap, along with some Kerry lapel pins and badges. I kept one Kerry lapel pin on the stap. While killing time waiting for one thing we were doing, the cast member (Disney's term for employees) commented on my pins including "the official John Kerry Disney badge."

Earlier in the day, while at Epcot, I considered buying a Canada shirt following all the favorable comments on Canada posted following the election.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Pamela J. Leavey said...

Ron

Sounds like you are having blast there at the happiest place on Earth!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Pamela J. Leavey said...

Bob

We should all be getting out of the room! It gets to be a bit much some times.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Ron Chusid said...

No other signs of Kery gear so far anywhere at Disney World. Even when I came during the campaign I saw very little--this just isn't the type of place for much politics. When I did ware a significant amount of Kerry gear before the election, I did receive a number of favorable comments. Now I'm pretty low key here, with a lone Kerry lapel badge mixed with all my real Disney pins.

While walking through Epcot (where there are a number of people from all over the world) I wish I had a shirt I've seen advertised. It states the following in many different languages: "I'm sorry my President is an idiot."

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home