Saturday, July 26, 2003

One of the people on a Kerry listserv submitted this earlier today and i really liked it. I thought i woulod post it on the blog.

Cheers!
I am John Hale, a retired military Veteran, 25 years service, and
am 70% service-connected disabled - meaning I do Not receive my
Retired Pay because I recieve ONLY VA disability pay. From that "less than
a house payment" VA disability, I MUST pay 10% of my original Retired Pay for my family's Survivor's Benefit Plan. I entered service, by Draft, from College, during the height of the VietNam "War" (or, conflict). Upon returning home, I found that I was no longer eligible for my college scholarship and had to retake many of the courses I'd already taken because I was then eligible for the "GI Bill." Trying to find a job, I found prospective employers, including Civil Service, openly telling me, after questioning me on "where I'd been the last 2 years," openly tell me their "Veteran's Quotas" were over-filled, and that "I should go chill out" for a while.

Within 45 days, not being able to return to my Junior level in college, not getting my Full Scholarship back, and not being able to get a job, I elected to re-enter the service. I remained an additional 23 years until I was "retired" on the Permanent Disabled List, presumably because I was injured. That "injury" happened on the Wrong Side of the 20 Year Mark. Funny thing is, 12 years later, I get up at 3:30am and walk and light jog for 7 to 9 miles daily!

I am a registered Republican. I chose that registration for one simple reason: Each time I was "invited" for Jury Duty, I found myself dismissed - usually by the Prosecutor - because of my military and Law Enforcement background! Therefore, since the court's
recorder could not "leave my name off her list" and I would be called only to be dismissed, I changed parties. I've never been called for Jury Duty since - and that includes having moved to two different States! Shame, isn't it?

I am for John Kerry because he, sometimes singularly, has carried
the battle for Veterans Rights. He understands that "war" is to be
made -As The Last Option. He includes ALL the World's People in his concerns and his Agenda. He understands that ALL people from ALL walks of life make our Democracy Work - across the Globe. John Kerry is a Silver Star Veteran and is the Only Candidate who has the Earned Right to Make Opinion!

I grew up listening each night to my father's nightmares. Dad served in the China, India, Burma theater and never discussed his experiences. Even when I had the opportunity to want to discuss my own experiences with him, our "conversations" remained silent - we both knew... Now, my own two sons have grown up listening to their dad's nightmares. I stayed in the Service working hard to Ensure no other children need listen to their Fathers and Mothers screams and crying.

Only ONE thing makes nightmares go Away - Do Not Make War! Daniel Quinn, James Redfield are two authors who make excellent arguments, though considered idealistic, that we Humans need begin Understanding One Another! Funny thing is: I've attended religious services in every denomination out there except some that I haven't found yet. The Message, regardless of the Philosophy's Originator, remains the Same: "Experience Faith, Conduct Kindness toward One Another, Help Your Neighbor!"

John Hale
USN, retired
http://johnhale.hale.us
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veteransforkerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home